Tuesday, May 15, 2018

BATTLE OF MAMETZ WW1

As a class, we REALLY REALLY REALLY recommend that you try to visit Shantytown and do this activity. This is our second year of doing ANZAC there and we can't wait to see what next years programme is. The teachers there work with our teachers to make what we do tie in with what we are studying. We have learnt heaps more about ANZAC this year from using a lot of resources from 'School Kit' and then visiting Shantytown to really live the lifestyle.


As part of our ANZAC study and followup from using the 'School Kit,'  we have been doing drama and we went to Shantytown to re-enact the battle of Mametz which is part of the Battle of Somme. The boys had to dress in a military fashion and the girls got changed when we arrived

We all had different roles but we got to swap over. When we first arrived at Shantytown we went to the school where we watched a poem  https://youtu.be/Nj43X-VBEPE  it is amazing. Then we practised listening to and solving morse code messages. We then marched in our units to Mametz and sang 'Its a Long Way to Tipperary' and 'Pack up your troubles ' as we marched.


When we reached Marmetz (in the middle of a field at Shantytown) we all went to our place. Some of the girls were in the hospital section and the hospital tent.
Others were in the Triage tent and helped carry stretchers and assess the wounded.
Others were running the supplies tent and cooking Billy Tea (made with Condensed Milk), feeding the wounded Tack Biscuits with it. Last year when we visited Shantytown we studied 'The Home Front' and made care packages. This unit delivered the care packages to the wounded in the trenches. (they contained mints, a comb, writing paper and pencil, tissues that could be used for the nose or the latrine and a letter from home.


When we were in the trenches after we received our parcel from home we had to write a letter home.







One of the men who work at Shantytown made replica rifles for us to use. The staff there had also dug a trench for us. When it was our turn in the trenches we had to keep digging to make the trench longer and fill sandbags to make it higher. Some of us got 'Trench Foot' and had to be carried to the hospital and some of us put out heads to high and got shot by the enemy. (our teacher with a water pistol).
We had turns at playing different roles during the day. There was a sentry at the gate and we had to have a password to enter the battlefield, the password changed many times during the day. It was an AMAZING day and its hard to its amazing to think how hard it would have been to survive in the trenches in the war. For us, one day was amazing and really uncomfortable being wet and crouched. For the girls dealing with the wounded (we made fake wounds from PVA and tissues) bandages wasn't easy either. In the real battle of WW1 the pain and noise, uncomfortableness and sadness must have been really really terrible. During the days different people were given different and secret scenarios to act out and others didn't know they were going to happen so it was really impromptu acting and thinking on your feet to make them seem real. The girls who were nurses had to diagnose what was wrong with the wounded and if the person was acting out a certain role they really had to be creative to find out what the problem was.

10 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is Hunter. I am a pupil at Gilberthorpe school. I like this post because it shows that you care about the soldier's that died. Some advice might be to add in some affect's. It reminds me of our slide for anzac. That's all from me BLOG YOU LATER!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,my name is Calai. I am a student at Waikowhai Primary School. I really like this post because it shows that you care about the soldier's that died. It made me think of when we were in our class we were reading a book about Anzac day. If you want to see our blog go to http://wpscalair.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Room 2 Blaketown School, My name is Bilal and I am from Waitemata at Waikowhai Primary School. I really like the idea where you guys made an example of WW1 and all of the noises and the mayhem. It reminds me of doing a slideshow in my class of ANZAC day. I also liked how you added lots of photos and tons of information. if you want to check out my blog here is the link
    http://wpsbilalc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, my name is Skye and I go to Waikowhai Primary School. I like this post because of how you put a lot of information and pictures in. It sounded like you were in the real World War 1 & 2! It sounded like you guys had a great time there I wish I was there too. I think maybe you could've done a slide to make it shorter. If you would like to look at my blog copy and paste this on a new tab, http://wpsskyep.blogspot.co.nz/
    Blog you later!-Skye

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Blaketown School, My name is Shiya and I go to Waikowhai Primary School. I was just reading about how you did the trenches for Anzac Day. Did you know that the word Anzac stands for Australian New Zealand Army Corps? I like how you guys pretended that you were the Anzac team. I thought you could add some more facts about the Anzac. come check out my blog at
    http://wpsshiyav.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kia ora Blaketown School, my name is Karl. I am a student from Waitemata, Waikowhai Primary. This post of ANZAC day is interesting, the drama play you probably did makes me think of the production we're having this year. At the start, the text is red, and I couldn't really tell what it said. You probably can read it, but probably the public can't. If you want to see my blog check at http://wpskarla.blogspot.co.nz/.

    ReplyDelete
  7. kia ora Shikarn form Gilberthorpe School. Wow what your doing looks fun wish I could do something like that.
    Blog you latter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, my name is dylan. I am a pupil at Gilberthorpe school. I like this post because it shows that you care about the soldier's that died. Some advice might be to add in some affect's. It reminds me of our slide for anzac. That's all from me BLOG YOU LATER!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Im Noah From: Gilberthorpes school christchurch. I like the pics they actully show the trenches. I have imagined being in the war. I think that it was very sad. Which it was. I Think my great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandad was a Army man I think he was the Top best Like the big Boss I think it is called general? I do not know plz tell me what you think it is called. Thanks
    KA PAI!
    From: Noah.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Im Noah From: Gilberthorpes school christchurch. I like the pics they actully show the trenches. I have imagined being in the war. I think that it was very sad. Which it was. Any way BLOGYOULATER

    from dylan

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.