Tuesday, May 16, 2017

ANZAC AT SHANTYTOWN

We went to Shantytown and studied ANZAC from the homefront. The boys learnt to march and the girls learnt to unravel old jerseys and knit. We wrapped parcels in brown paper and tied them with string. These parcels contained a letter, tissues (for the nose of latrine), a comb, a tiki, a candle, a pencil and pad and some mints.  We dressed appropriately for the times.
Our lunches were in brown paper bags. We learnt to wrap bandages and then we bandaged up a wounded solider . He went away on the steam train and one of our students dressed as the Mayor and wrote a welcome home speech. Even though it was pouring with rain (and I mean pouring) we all went to the train station to welcome him home.
Each class made a wreath to lay at our ANZAC service which we held in the church as it was soooooo wet. We had all be learning the song 'Flanders Fields' so rather than somone reading out the poem we all sang this. 
We all had ANZAC biscuits (which weren't called that when the war was on only afterwards. They were called rolled oat biscuits and were sent away as they lasted such a long time. If they got too hard the soldiers could dunk them in their tea.

6 comments:

  1. Kia ora Room 2,
    What an amazing experience! I would love to go to Shantytown and learn more about ANZAC. It must actually feel like you are living in the olden days when you are there. I love the photo of you all dressed up. How interesting to learn to unravel jerseys to create more wool for knitting! Were the boys good at marching? I didn't realise ANZAC biscuits weren't called that until after the war but it does make perfect sense. What a great way to learn and celebrate ANZAC Day for you all. Thanks for sharing.
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Room 2!
    My name is Tess from Lake Brunner School. I like how you put a lot of pictures on the post, It gave me a good picture in my head of what you were doing. It sounds very fun learning how to knit and march. Please come and comment on my blog at http://lakebrunnertessm.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi this is Mary from Lake Brunner School,
    I see that you've recently been to Shanty Town, Lucky.
    I'm sorry it was raining, but the good thing is that it didn't stop you guys from doing the mayor speech.
    Did you get to bring your creations back to your class if not you should make some more wreaths and hang them up on your class wall to make it look more decorative. I can relate because I have been to shanty town before. I hope you guys had a fun time at Shanty town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi this is Ingrid from Room 9 at Wesley intermediate school, this looks so cool and I wish that I could go to a shantytown. I hope you guys had a great time I learnt a lot of new facts like the one about the Anzac biscuits. Your work is excellent and maybe you could look at making Anzac biscuits next Anzac.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my name is Paea and i'm from Wesley Intermediate School.
    I like everything about your school. I like how you guys wear Anzac clothes to celebrate Army's that had died in ww1 or ww2.

    I like how you decorate your classes and halls. I would like to learn how to march and knit.
    P A E A

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Room 2 my name is Dricollo I am from Wesley intermediate school . I really like how much pride and respect you have put in here to do this. Welldone on making your cookies hope you had fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.